Monday, October 26, 2009

The Mighty Lizardfish...it's not a Halloween prank..it's real...it happened...the story.

Two people, who love one another, quietly fishing off a floating dock on an Inlet waterway...a calm is in the air...until it surfaced....what was it, what is it, where did it come from and what did it want.....????My son and future daughter-in-law were just enjoying a quiet time of fishing...they were catching some little fish and throwing them back to catch another day...then it happened.
When she caught it she just thought it was just another fish...just a quiet little fish...little did she know what she had caught...what was hanging off her fishing pole...
After wrestling it to the dock...I held so we all could see it up close..little did I know what I was holding...what it could do to me in a moments notice....

As I wrestled it to keep it from taking us all...I managed to put a massive hold on it and held on tight.
It was a Inshore Lizardfish...a bottom feeder..who is part of the Synodontidae family of fish. A large mouth snake headed fish that bottom feeds on other fish, shrimp and fishermen..well at least the first two for sure. It fought like a barracuda and a shark combined.
Lizardfish are elongated with round bodies and scaly heads and mouths full of little teeth.
These carnivorous snake headed fish grow up to 50 centimetres long in length...
That's almost 20 inches of mean fish ....look at him....now you know the fight I had on that dock...the battle to save my family at any expense...even if I lost a finger...I had to keep that Lizardfish from hurting anyone.
So I wrestled that fish for over a hour...well maybe more like a minute...but it seemed longer I know it did....but after the battle was over I let it go...to go back to the bottom of the inlet and stay away where he belonged.
Waiting to pounce on its prey..and rule the bottom of the Inlets floor...and maybe he will remember how close he came to being mounted on our wall at the beach house...a trophy for the battle my daughter-in-law won while fishing for her first time in the wild waters of the Atlantic.
Look out fish...she caught the fishing fever...she will be coming for you again...and she will win.






No comments:

Post a Comment



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones